Thursday, June 3, 2010

Androcles's Lion and the Dentist

I'm very happy with the last dentist who treated me. He took away my pain.

This wisdom tooth had to be the most agonizing experience I've had in the last few years. I suffered for months with it.

It kept tricking me. It would have me punching the walls to build the adrenaline to fight it, then it would lapse and I'd forget the pain, and remember my fear of dentists. (Possibly from seeing Marathon Man as a child.)

My rescuer turned out to be an immigrant gentleman, hairy armed, with a Middle Eastern appearance and accent. (I could be wrong about that accent.) The fee was eighty dollars for a new patient. I was no longer in a position to stall for a better deal.

I sat nervously in the chair and asked him if he was going to put me under for the job. He laughed.

He said it could be done with freezing. I asked him to use as many needles as possible. He complied.

I would recommend a dentist with strong arms for this procedure. I caught him grunting a few times through it. And he wasn't weak looking. But it only took a few minutes. And I didn't feel a thing. My jaw just got a bit sore from being opened so wide.

I was so happy when he finished I could have kissed him. Got a card from him a while ago. Time for my checkup soon.

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments: